In 2010, for a Marian celebration when William Picher hired 2 trumpets, strings, flute and timpani for a Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe, he asked me for an arrangement of Immaculate Mary. As this is a popular hymn for many Marian feasts, I eventually prepared a solo organ accompaniment version of the score. This reduced arrangement is included in their most recent CD of Marian Music: Ave Maria. It was always a pleasure to work with and write music for the Basilica Choir while I was in Orlando, and I am delighted that they continue to sing (and record) compositions and arrangements that I did for them.
The first performance of my composition Watch! Take Care! Your Hearts Prepare! will take place during Mass on the Fourth Sunday of Advent at the Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe. The Basilica Choir under the direction of William Picher will sing the piece at both the 9:30 and 11:30am Masses. The piece is a setting of a text by John Dalles for unaccompanied SATB choir.
Written for SATB Choir, unaccompanied, this piece is a setting of and Advent text by John Dalles based upon Mark 13:33-37. It will be premiered during the season of Advent by the Basilica Choir under the direction of William Picher. Scores will be available for purchase after the premier.
The CD is here! Order yours now for delivery before Christmas!
The Basilica Choir sings Christmas favorites and new carols on their newest CD on Stemik records including God, We Would Hear the Angels Sing.
Now available on iTunes as well.
The complete list of music follows:
- Joy to the World (Isaac Watts/Lowell Mason, after Handel, arr. William Picher)
- Hodie Christus Natus Est (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
- Joseph Lieber, Joseph Mine (Michael Praetorius)
- It Came Upon the Midnight Clear (Edmund Sears/R.S. Willis, arr. William Picher)
- Blessed Be That Maid Marie (Trad. English 17th C., arr. Charles Wood)
- Rejoice in the Lord Always (Anon 16th C.)
- Gaudete (Anon. 16th c, arr. Brian Kay)
- God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen (Trad. English, 17th C., arr. William Picher)
- O Magnum Mysterium (Tomas Luis de Victoria)
- Ave Maris Stella (Trad. Russian, arr. Pavel Chesnokov, adapt. William Picher)
Morris Hudson, guest baritone soloist
- Ding Dong Merrily on High (G.R. Woodward, arr. Carolyn Jennings)
- Es ist ein Ros (Michael Praetorius)
- God, We Would Hear the Angels Sing (John A. Dalles/Wm. Glenn Osborne)
- What Child is This (Trad. English, arr. John Stainer)
- The Boar
Written by request for the choral concert given on May 22, 2011 by William Picher and the Basilica Choir with friends. The choral group for the day contained 16 singers, and Bill was looking for a 16-voice piece. I sat with this request for quite a while before finally settling on this text and the general style of the piece. Most of the piece is written for 8-part choir, but the middle section is a 16 part fugue. The recording below was made at the dress rehearsal prior to the concert.
Psalm 96: 1-3
Cantate Domino canticum novum:
Cantate Domino omnis terra.
Cantate Domino, benedicite nomini eius:
Adnuntiate diem de die salutare eius.
Purchase of the PDF download includes permission to reprint copies as necessary for performance.
This recording by the Basilica Choir and William Picher includes my composition Salve Regina. The piece was written specifically for them, and I was delighted that they chose to include it on their recording.
The CD is available for sale for $15 plus shipping and handling. It is also available at iTunes for immediate download here. This is the complete track list:
- Haec Dies (William Byrd)
- O Bone Jesu (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
- Verbum Caro Factus Est (Hans Leo Hassler)
- Alma Redemptoris Mater (Palestrina)
- Regina Caeli Laetare (Antonio Lotti)
- Riu, Riu, Chiu (Anon. Spanish)
- Exsultate Deo (Palestrina)
- I See His Blood Upon the Rose (Michael Bedford)
- At the Cross Her Station Keeping (13th cent., arr. Richard Proulx)
- Were You There? (Spiritual, arr. Harry T. Burleigh)
- Gabriel’s Message (Basque Carol, arr. Jonathan Rathbone)
- Ave Maria (Marshall Webb)
- Set Me As a Seal (René Clausen)
- Tota Pulchra Es (Maurice Duruflé)
- Hail Mary (William Picher)
- Hail Holy Queen (Salve Regina, arr. Derric Johnson)
- I Saw Three Ships (English Carol, arr. Marshall Webb)
- Salve Regina
- Deep River (Spiritual, arr. Norman Luboff)
- Ain’t-a that Good News (Spiritual, arr. William Dawson)