When I began my duties as Director of Music at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen in January 2015, there was an opening on the concert series in March. This CD is the program that I played to fill that slot. The program reflects the season of the church year from different musical styles and eras. I also wanted a program that would demonstrate the variety of colors available on the instrument. This was not just to please the audience, but also a way for me to become acquainted with the instrument. As the program came together, I thought of recording the program to share this instrument with a wider audience. I hope the music here reaches the deep longings of your soul, and inspires you to come visit the Cathedral and hear the instrument live.
The recording is also available through iTunes.
Aus tiefer Not, BWV 686
Johann Sebastian Bach
Herzlich tut mich verlangen
Psalm Prelude, Set 2, no. 1 – De profundis
IV. Longing for Death from Job
Dominica in Palmis
Suite in French Classical Style on ‘Vexilla Regis’
Wm. Glenn Osborne
Da Jesus an dem Creutze stundt
III. Crucifixion from Symphonie-Passion
Wm. Glenn Osborne
In 2010, for a Marian celebration when William Picher hired 2 trumpets, strings, flute and timpani for a Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe, he asked me for an arrangement of Immaculate Mary. As this is a popular hymn for many Marian feasts, I eventually prepared a solo organ accompaniment version of the score. This reduced arrangement is included in their most recent CD of Marian Music: Ave Maria. It was always a pleasure to work with and write music for the Basilica Choir while I was in Orlando, and I am delighted that they continue to sing (and record) compositions and arrangements that I did for them.
The CD is here! Order yours now for delivery before Christmas!
The Basilica Choir sings Christmas favorites and new carols on their newest CD on Stemik records including God, We Would Hear the Angels Sing.
Now available on iTunes as well.
The complete list of music follows:
- Joy to the World (Isaac Watts/Lowell Mason, after Handel, arr. William Picher)
- Hodie Christus Natus Est (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
- Joseph Lieber, Joseph Mine (Michael Praetorius)
- It Came Upon the Midnight Clear (Edmund Sears/R.S. Willis, arr. William Picher)
- Blessed Be That Maid Marie (Trad. English 17th C., arr. Charles Wood)
- Rejoice in the Lord Always (Anon 16th C.)
- Gaudete (Anon. 16th c, arr. Brian Kay)
- God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen (Trad. English, 17th C., arr. William Picher)
- O Magnum Mysterium (Tomas Luis de Victoria)
- Ave Maris Stella (Trad. Russian, arr. Pavel Chesnokov, adapt. William Picher)
Morris Hudson, guest baritone soloist
- Ding Dong Merrily on High (G.R. Woodward, arr. Carolyn Jennings)
- Es ist ein Ros (Michael Praetorius)
- God, We Would Hear the Angels Sing (John A. Dalles/Wm. Glenn Osborne)
- What Child is This (Trad. English, arr. John Stainer)
- The Boar
This recording by the Basilica Choir and William Picher includes my composition Salve Regina. The piece was written specifically for them, and I was delighted that they chose to include it on their recording.
The CD is available for sale for $15 plus shipping and handling. It is also available at iTunes for immediate download here. This is the complete track list:
- Haec Dies (William Byrd)
- O Bone Jesu (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
- Verbum Caro Factus Est (Hans Leo Hassler)
- Alma Redemptoris Mater (Palestrina)
- Regina Caeli Laetare (Antonio Lotti)
- Riu, Riu, Chiu (Anon. Spanish)
- Exsultate Deo (Palestrina)
- I See His Blood Upon the Rose (Michael Bedford)
- At the Cross Her Station Keeping (13th cent., arr. Richard Proulx)
- Were You There? (Spiritual, arr. Harry T. Burleigh)
- Gabriel’s Message (Basque Carol, arr. Jonathan Rathbone)
- Ave Maria (Marshall Webb)
- Set Me As a Seal (René Clausen)
- Tota Pulchra Es (Maurice Duruflé)
- Hail Mary (William Picher)
- Hail Holy Queen (Salve Regina, arr. Derric Johnson)
- I Saw Three Ships (English Carol, arr. Marshall Webb)
- Salve Regina
- Deep River (Spiritual, arr. Norman Luboff)
- Ain’t-a that Good News (Spiritual, arr. William Dawson)